Thursday, June 28, 2012

I'm on fire and now I think I'm ready to bust a move

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing a band live that I was really looking forward to seeing, The Front Bottoms, and another band that I vaguely know, Motion City Soundtrack, at Union Transfer in Philadelphia. There was another band in-between, The Henry Clay People, but they were just not enjoyable to watch - the vocalist's voice was too whiny for my taste, and his performance antics were annoying and unpleasant (I mean, really... who chokes his band mate with the chord of his microphone?).

The Front Bottoms perform at Union Transfer in Philadelphia on Wednesday, June 27, 2012. Photo by Ashley Campbell/Times Herald Staff.

The Front Bottoms were exactly what I hoped for. When a band can sound almost identical to their recordings live, I'm always impressed, and the New Jersey-natives did just that. Interactions with the crowd - including having everyone mimic a part of their track called "Maps" because they couldn't get their Macbook to play the soundbite - were more than enjoyable. Though more than half of the audience didn't seem to know them at the beginning of their performance, everyone seemed to fall in love with them by the end (and I just managed to fall in love with them more).

Motion City Soundtrack performs at Union Transfer in Philadelphia on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 . Photo by Ashley Campbell/Times Herald Staff.

After The Henry Clay People put a bit of a damper on the evening (trust me on this one - half of the audience went to the lobby during their performance), Motion City Soundtrack brought energy and excitement back as soon as they hit the stage. While I don't know much of their music myself, the majority of the concert-goers did, and I appreciated what the Minnesota band had to offer as much as their fans. Vocalist Justin Pierre shared tidbits of stories behind certain songs and decorated a bear that was thrown on stage with a bra that came from the same place. My favorite parts of their set was hearing "Everything Is Alright" from their 2007 release Commit This to Memory and "The Future Freaks Me Out" from their 2002 self-released debut I Am the Movie

Motion City Soundtrack was a really fun and energetic band to see live, and I'm sorry I haven't stuck around at shows they've played in the past.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home