Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Beatles are overrated (Part 2).

I knew I was going to get a lot of hate when I said, "I think The Beatles are overrated." Even though I was yelled at and the majority of people that commented further proved my point of having them constantly shoved down my throat as the greatest band in music history, I completely respect most comments that were made. That being said, I wanted to further explain myself and respond to the slew of comments.

First off, I don't hate The Beatles and their music. In fact, I actually like some of their songs ("Imagine," "I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Help!" and "Get Back" just to name a few). Yes, I know they were a huge inspiration to a lot of artists. Yes, I know they made a big impact on music. However, I still don't think they were the greatest band that ever existed. I also don't think that they've made more of an impact on music than anyone else.

If you want to know who I think made more of an impact on music, I'd have to say Elvis Presley (hello, THE KING) and Jimi Hendrix. And just because I think these two artists were so important, that doesn't mean I listen to them any more than The Beatles (because I don't). I'll still listen to my favorite band who has only been in existence for a mere 10 years over any of them.

As for Bruce Springsteen, I'm sorry but I just can't relate to someone that consistently sings about being a hardworking man from Jersey.

Concerning comments, I actually really enjoyed reading all of them - love or hate (and most were hate). It'd be difficult to respond to every single one, so here's one big, general response:
  • Thank you to all of the people that realize that criticizing music is all based on opinion. Not everyone is going to agree, but some agreed to disagree.
  • Some people hinted at or said that because I don't think The Beatles are the greatest band on earth and that I'm in the generation that mainly gets their music through iTunes, that I'm not passionate about music. That assumption is ridiculously wrong. Just concerning my favorite band, I've seen them live 14 times (going on 15), I own the physical copy of all of their major releases and I glorify and love them just as much as all of you glorify and love The Beatles.
  • I think a lot of people failed to read the part of my entry that clearly said that I respect and appreciate The Beatles AND Bruce Springsteen for what they both did for music.
  • Also, I'm not a teenager and I'm not going back to school - I turn 24 next week.
EDIT: "Jimmy" was changed to "Jimi." Thanks, Anon.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no brains....not your fault just a victim of you lack of music training and education

September 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just listened to "say anything" that explains alot-you would have been a fan of the "Archies" back in the day

September 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should go back to school. The School of Rock, majoring in history. You clearly need a crash course on Springsteen. Bruce 101? He sings about a lot more than being a hardworking man from Jersey (and even if that's all he did, that's more noble than what "your bands" -- like Say Nothing -- sing about).
You didn't do yourself any favors trying to defend yourself here. For starters, "Imagine" is NOT a Beatles song. It was a John Lennon solo song. There is a major difference.
And it is "Jimi" Hendrix, not "Jimmy."
I'm not going to knock Elvis. No one should. But you do realize that he didn't write squat? You lose points for that in my book.
Why don't you try to explain to us how and why Hendrix and Elvis, more than the Beatles or Stones or Dylan or The Who or Led Zeppelin or Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry, influenced others.
Show off a little. You have to know more than you are letting on.
Happy Birthday, Ashley.
Hopefully, by the time you are 25, somebody takes the time to enlighten you.

September 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're really posting another article on this subject. If you want people to pay attention to what you write try actually writing with passion and not like a 14 year old girl on her tumblr page.

September 5, 2010 at 9:55 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go listen to dewy cox now thats real music

September 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember "Those that can do, do. Those that can't do, teach. Those that can't teach, critique those that can do"

September 6, 2010 at 4:01 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And those who make anonymous posts can't man up!

September 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM 
Anonymous Brian K said...

well ash i can see the internet trolls and old farts who have no lives are still up in arms about you bashing the beatles. i completely agree that the beatles are beyond overrated. Yes, they made a huge impact on music and culture at the time but that's as far as it goes. Was there music ahead of its time?... No. They simply made timeless music. I have a lot of respect for them. They were great artists, but lots of artists of many genres have done the same. Nothing new. I like the elvis and jimi reference. Those 2 artists actually broke cultural barriers and made music that was ahead of its time. As for bruce... not a fan. Most of his fans are brain dead NJ trash anyways.

And for all the anonymous posters... go take your geritol and wheel yourself back over to the big screen tv at the retirement home. The fact that you are going to anonymously bash a young woman over the internet for her taste in music just proves how much of a p*ssy you are. you are the type of person who sits behind their computer and bashes everyone because your life sucks. i guess you were picked on too much in grade school.

September 7, 2010 at 7:35 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the sublime (her first post on this subject) to the ridiculous (this one).
100 years from now, they will be teaching real classes on Springsteen's poetry.
And anyone who claims to love rock but disses the Beatles is like someone into classical dissing Beethoven.

September 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Brian, we post anonymously because we don't have the time to waste signing up for some account. Ash, as you call, isn't worth the time.

September 7, 2010 at 8:14 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always the ones who bring up being picked on in grade school who are the ones who really were.
Go back and take your steroids, Brian. Som NJ is coming to beat your ass.

September 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You like the Jimi reference, do ya? You do realize she spelled his first name wrong the first time and had to correct it. She still hasn't corrected that "Imagine" wasn't a Beatles song. Simply pathetic.
On the plus side, she didn't spell his last name "Henricks." I've seen that before from your know-it-all, disrespectful generation.

September 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without mistakes, life would be music

September 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, nice try at being chivalrous. Too bad it failed. We're not hacking into her private account to bash her. She is out front, posing as some sort of critic whose opinion we are supposed to value. She set herself up for it, and came back for more.
And how come Dylan is not part of this conversation? Anyone who put pen to paper to write a song, from The Beatles to Say Anything, was influenced by him. Don't give me that "he can't sing" crapola. If rock were judged by that, it would have died a long time ago.

September 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liking rock but not The Beatles is like being a Catholic and praying to the saints but not believing in Jesus.
Only makes sense in the mind of the young and immature.

September 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your are truly a music junkie you would know the IMAGINE is a JOHN LENNON song and not a Beatles song. This is why your columns stinks......

September 16, 2010 at 11:35 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

idiot

September 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hovercraft is full of eels.

October 24, 2010 at 5:45 AM 
Blogger john said...

the beatles were the most over rated band of all time. all they ever did was get american music and give it back to the masses in a generic, diluted, watered-down from. first they got great rock and roll songs by carl perkins, little richard, buddy holly + other early rockers and turned them into limp wristed, panty waisted pop ditties. then they heard bob dylan and got all lyrically serious. then they got turned onto all things eastern by the byrds. then they heard frank zappa's freak out and brian wilson's pet sounds and got all musically 'experimental.'

September 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home